Lorenzo Dow Munsell
LORENZO DOW5 MUNSELLE (THOMAS MUNSELL4 JR., THOMAS3 MUNSELL, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born January 01, 1828 in Licking, Oh, and died April 13, 1907 in Richland Springs, San Saba, Tx. He married (1) FIDELIA OR PHYDELIA SMITH 1848 in Jefferson, Il, daughter of Stephen Deveroux Smith and Lydia Hudson of Genesee Co., NY. She was born 1832 in Genesee Co., Ny, and died in Ks ?. He married (2) MARGARET EMILY DERICKSON April 04, 1870 in Mt Vernon, Jefferson, Il. She was born October 27, 1837 in Oh, and died December 01, 1902 in Richland Springs, San Saba, Tx.
Children of LORENZO MUNSELLE and FIDELIA SMITH are:
3. i. THOMAS TILLOTSON6 MUNSELL, b. March 04, 1849, Licking, Oh; d. July 29, 1923, San Saba, San Saba, Tx.
ii. MARY A MUNSELLE, b. 1852, Licking, Oh; d. October 23, 1923 in Portland, Or; m. JEREMIAH J. KING, January 16, 1870, Mt Vernon, Jefferson, Il. he died before 1910.
4. iii. JOHN RALEIGH MUNSELL, b. November 23, 1854, Licking, Oh; d. April 11, 1930, Mt Vernon, Jefferson, Il.
5. iv. LUNA ALICE MUNSELLE, b. 1860, Il; d. 1876.
6. v. WILLIAM ALEXANDER MUNSELLE, b. August 22, 1861, Mt Vernon, Jefferson, Il; d. October 06, 1942, Bangs, Brown, Tx.
7. vi. JAMES LAWRENCE MUNSELL, b. 1864, Mt Vernon, Jefferson, Il; d. 1934, Luling, Caldwell, Tx.
vii. HARRIET R MUNSELLE, b. 1867, Mt Vernon, Jefferson, Il; d. 1884; m. JOHN FRANKLIN BROOKMAN, 1884.
Children of LORENZO MUNSELLE and MARGARET DERICKSON are:
8. viii. LORENZO DOW JR6 MUNSELL, b. January 01, 1871, Mt Vernon, Jefferson, Il; d. Richland Springs, San Saba, Tx.
9. ix. LAWRENCE BRATTON MUNSELL, b. April 24, 1872, Mt Vernon, Jefferson, Il; d. May 09, 1930, San Saba, Tx.
x. HARVEY MUNSELL, b. 1874, Mt Vernon, Jefferson, Il; d. 1874.
xi. LOUISA JULIA MUNSELL, b. April 24, 1876, Mt Vernon, Jefferson, Il; d. December 03, 1951, San Saba, Tx; m. E E WILLIAMS.
10. xii. JOSHUA WALTER MUNSELLE, b. June 30, 1876, Mt Vernon, Jefferson, Il; d. December 14, 1932, Richland Springs, San Saba, Tx.
xiii. JOAN ROSETTA MUNSELLE, b. May 22, 1879, Mt Vernon, Jefferson, Il; d. July 06, 1922, San Saba, Tx; m. RUFUS M SMITH.
xiv. LAURA ARLENA MUNSELLE, b. May 28, 1882, Mt Vernon, Jefferson, Il; d. July 28, 1904, San Saba, Tx.
Lorenzo divorced his first wife Phydelia Smith Munsell in July 20, 1869 in in Jefferson County IL.
The divorce decree reads as follows: "that on the last day of December last the said Phydelia eloped with one Marcellus M. King and has continued to live with him in a state of adultery and fornication ever since"
Frequently, in genealogy it is more difficult to trace female ancestors and Phydelia Smith is a perfect example of that. We now know she is daughter to Stephen Deveroux Smith and Lydia Hudson.
We will never know what exactly happened in December 1869 but I believe Phydelia and Marcellus knew each other growing up in Licking County, Ohio. It is also interesting to note that Jesse King ( Marcellus's father) and Lorenzo Dow 's grandmother's were sisters ( they were Tillotson's ) and therefore were cousins.
In 1869, Marcellus was married to Susan Lesher and I believe he left Susan and their children and it is possible that he and Phydelia went to live with her sisters who had immigrated to Cherokee Co. KS. I believe Phydelia died there before 1880 and he returns to Jefferson Co., IL
Marcellus reappears in the 1880 census and is found living with his parents : Jesse and Lucretia King. Also found in that household with Marcellus and his parents is a two year old adopted son name, William King who was born in Kansas-1878.
I do not know who the young William is ????
I would love to find Phydelia and know what became of her and where she is buried. But the mystery remains...............
Lorenzo also remarries a neighbor who is also been recently divorced , Margaret Bodine Derrickson. The family shortly after that moves to San Saba Co., Texas.
Grave of Lorenzo Dow Munsell in Richland Springs Cemetery Texas
| HOME | INDEX | EMAIL NANCY